Monthly Social Justice Ministry Meeting
Social Justice, is a newly forming ministry here at the Basilica of St. Mary Star of the Sea that strives to help parishioners recognize and respond to their baptismal call to discipleship. Rooted in Scripture and guided by Catholic Social Teaching (CST), this ministry seeks to educate the parish about social ministry and provide the means by which individuals and the parish community can use their gifts to serve the poor and vulnerable and to work for justice locally and throughout the world. If you are interested in learning more about Social Justice and becoming a part of this vibrant ministry, please join us on Monday evenings at 5:30 PM, in the St. Francis Room of the KMC.
For more information, please contact:
Brenda Callahan firstname.lastname@example.org
Patrice Schwermer (305) 807 4503 or email email@example.com
Monthly Potluck Dinner & Social Justice Movie Night
Please join with the Social Justice Ministry on the fourth Thursday of each month as we share a delicious potluck dinner and watch various full-length films related to Social Justice issues. We gather in the Mary Immaculate Room of the Klaus Murphy Center. The potluck begins at 5:30 pm followed by the movie at 6:00 pm. After the movie, there will be a short discussion about how each movie relates to Catholic Social Teaching and the Pope’s call to dialog. For more information please check the bulletin or visit our Basilica Events on Facebook.
As a group, we encourage regular correspondence with legislators and urge Catholics to become regular visitors to local district offices. Towards this end, we have listed some of the Advocacy email networks you can join and encourage others to join:
- Florida Catholic Advocacy Network (FLCAN): The Florida Conference of Catholic Bishops have their office in Tallahassee and work in advocacy efforts at the State Capitol. To join this email network go to the website www.flaccb.org
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB): Along with Catholic relief Services have an advocacy network to help us advocate on global issues. To get more information and to sign up visit: http://www.confrontglobalpoverty.org/get-involved/
- For other action alerts posted by the USCCB you can sign up at the following site: https://www.votervoice.net/USCCB/Campaigns/44852/Respond
- Catholic Charities USA: Follows national legislation and sends information and action alert. For more information go to: Go to https://catholiccharitiesusa.org/advocacy-and-policy
- Network: A nonprofit Catholic Lobby organization. https://networklobby.org/
- Monroe Ministries have a website that has a whole section on Legislative advocacy. There is information on our legislators, how to contact legislators, how to set up a meeting, how to write a letter: http://www.ccadmmonroeministries.org/mm-legislative-advocacy.html