Project Rachel (Post-Abortion Healing)
Project Rachel, the Catholic Church’s ministry to those who have been involved in abortion, is a diocesan-based network of specially trained priests, religious, counselors, and laypersons who provide a team response of care for those suffering in the aftermath of abortion. In addition to referring for Sacramental Reconciliation, the ministry provides an integrated network of services, including pastoral counseling, support groups, retreats and referrals to licensed mental health professionals.
If you or someone you know is suffering after abortion, confidential non-judgmental help is available.
Jean Maun, a faithful parishioner here at the Basilica of St. Mary Star of the Sea for more than thirty-five years, and well trained in the emotional and spiritual needs of those suffering from the aftermath of abortion, is available to anyone in need of support. Jean can be reached at 305 292 4670 or through the Rectory Office at 305 294 1098.
Project Rachel’s national toll-free number is: 888-456-HOPE(4673) or visit HopeAfterAbortion.org.
Spanish-speakers may visit EsperanzaPosaborto.org.
Related Articles and Publications
- Healing within Marriage from an Abortion, Respect Life Program, 2015 (en español)
- How to Talk to a Friend Who’s Had an Abortion, Project Rachel Ministry, 2013 (en español)
- “The Hollow Men”: Male Grief and Trauma Following Abortion, Vincent M. Rue, Ph.D., Respect Life Program, 2008 (en español)
- Project Rachel: In the Heart of the Church, USCCB, 2007 (en español)
- Reclaiming Fatherhood, Life Insight, September/October 2007
- Abortion Aftermath: “An Antiabortion Shibboleth?”, Life Insight, March/April 2007
- The New York Times Won’t See Their Pain, by Susan Wills, February 27, 2007
- Divine Mercy in My Soul, by Theresa Bonopartis, 2000 (en español)
- Touched by the Truth, Life Insight, November/December 2000
- Healing Happens, Life Insight, March 2000
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse After Abortion, Life Insight, March 2000
- After the Abortion, by Sister Paula Vandegaer, LCSW, 1999 (en español)
- A Special Word to Women Who Have Had An Abortion, by E. Joanne Angelo, M.D., 1997
Columns and Commentary
- Healing Wounds for the Wounded, by Mary McClusky, Life Issues Forum, August 15, 2014 (en español)
- Begin Again, by Kimberly Baker, Life Issues Forum, March 28, 2014 (en español)
- For the Sake of His Sorrowful Passion, by Tom Grenchik, Life Issues Forum, March 21, 2014 (en español)
- Forgiveness and Healing after an Abortion, Susan E. Wills, Respect Life Program, 2013 (en español)
- A Special Mercy, by Mary McClusky, Life Issues Forum, June 7, 2013 (en español)
- A Nationwide Call for Healing after Abortion, by Tom Grenchik, Life Issues Forum, November 23, 2011 (en español)
- Mental Health Risks and Abortion, by Kimberly Baker, Life Issues Forum,February 4, 2011 (en español)
- Healing an Abortion-Wounded Nation, by Deirdre McQuade, Life Issues Forum, January 21, 2011
- Post-Abortion Healing is Possible, by Deirdre McQuade, Life Issues Forum, February 23, 2007
News Releases and Statements
- Project Rachel Radio Ads Airing in Washington, DC Area, February 28, 2007
- Bishop’s Official Notes Coverage of Post-Abortion Program, April 12, 2000
- Post-Abortion Outreach Unveiled, February 3, 2000